I guess the term “new” is relative here. I started my blog four years ago (before the Earth cooled) as a way to capture my miserable attempt at living a “Stepford wife” life. Those failures (and the occasional accomplishment!) have been the impetus behind my blog, and after a year off, I’m ramping it back up again!
I was SO excited when one of my sorority sisters nominated me for this award! She has given me a lot of encouragement to keep writing – thank you Jennifer of TheChampagneSupernova!!!
To learn more about the Liebster Award (no, you don’t smother it with mayonnaise and serve it on a roll), read this.
Ok, here are 11 random facts about me: I was an agriculture major at the University of Florida (which is shocking given my aversion to farm animals and the great outdoors); met my husband in Driver’s Education when we were 15; spent a summer living in Maroochydore, Australia with my family; never want to be more than 30 minutes from the beach; I’m cross-eyed and have worn glasses since I was 2; won an award in middle school for my exceptional Robin Leach impression; have an inappropriate relationship with condiments (I could smother remoulade sauce all over my body); can play the flute and the piccolo; hot pink is the color of my soul, I cry at every single Disney movie (including How to Train your Dragon and Big Hero 6), and my greatest accomplishment in life is my son Colt.
Jennifer’s questions for me to answer:
1. If you could take three people (dead or alive, famous or normal) on a trip around the world for a month, who would you choose? My grandmother Ellen, Reese Witherspoon and Frida Kahlo. We’d pack the red lipstick and leave our tweezers at home!
2. Would you rather have a leg growing out of your forehead or still be connected to your mother via umbilical cord? I call my mother at least twice a week with a crisis, so I basically still am connected to her via umbilical cord (or at least via phone cord). I’d like to try the forehead leg for a while.
3. What are the things you love and dislike most about yourself? I love my boobs. I also like the fact that I make friends pretty easily, and I’m not a grudge holder. I hate my poochy stomach and my annoying tendency to be too emotional.
4. What is your biggest pet peeve in others? Parents ignoring their winey, crying, temper-tantrum-throwing kids in restaurants. I thought this would go away when I had my own child, but it’s actually gotten worse. Just take your kid outside and make peace with the fact that you’ll never eat warm food again.
5. What do you think is the difference between serving others with an attitude of selflessness and love verses having people take advantage of you? (oh man, that’s a deep one!). This is a tough one, but I think if helping/serving someone brings you fulfillment, then it really doesn’t matter. If it brings you joy, keep giving. If it gives you that weird feeling in the pit of your stomach, refocus your energy elsewhere.
6. Who is your favorite Disney villain? Gaston, duh. (Look at him!!!)
7. What song epitomizes your childhood? The theme song from the Wonder Years… “I get by with a little help from my friends…” because I have the same amazing friends I had when I was 12. We all went to middle school, high school and then the University of Florida together. I’m basically obsessed with my friends.
8. If your first name wasn’t already Julie, what would you choose for it to be? Sally.
9. What is the best and worst part about blogging? Making people laugh is the absolute best! Making time to blog is the worst. I have about 27 posts in “draft” at any given time because I’d like to get at least four hours of sleep.
10. Have you received any negative blogging feedback and how have you dealt with it? A long time ago, I wrote a post about circumcision that really offended a reader. (I’ve offended plenty of people before, but this one stung.) I truly felt awful. I thanked the reader for his comments and for helping me recognize and appreciate another point of view.
11. What was your first car? A 2000 red Ford Escort. It was the cat’s meow.
Phew! Ok, now I turn it over to the following nominees for the Liebster award:
Jenny Weigle of A Glimpse Of the World…Jenny-fied
Paige Hampton of Life with the Hampton’s
Cherie Lucas Dilley of Keep Calm and Mother On
Kacey Weaver of Big Heels Big Hair
Anna Pryor of Yours Truly
My questions for the nominees, in addition to 11 random facts about yourself are:
1. If you could be anyone besides yourself, who would you be, and why?
2. Where’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
3. Why did you start blogging?
4. If you could have an endless supply of one food item, what would it be?
5. If there was a movie about your life, what songs would be on the soundtrack?
6. What is the best piece of advice you have for your children?
7. What is your biggest blogging challenge?
8. What’s your favorite reality TV show?
9. If you could choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why?
10. What drives you crazy about your spouse/boyfriend/partner (in a good way, or bad way, or both!)?
11. What’s your favorite time of day, and why?
Ha! This was fun!